Monday, February 20, 2017

An Application Sandwich



What I call an “application sandwich” is introducing a new concept via a real-life application, asking the students to identify the concept, describe the concept, quiz the students about it, then ask the students to identify another real-life application that incorporates the concept. Context is key. By introducing students to the application first we can create a "hook" that motivates them to want to learn more. Without having the application, the students don’t have a frame of reference for applying the concept, and more importantly don’t have perspective on how their lives relate to it, which they demonstrate by giving their own examples of an application. I believe this is a critical component for ownership, vs. just an abstraction.

2 comments:

  1. This seems similar to my "So What?" statement I like my students to ask (both in classroom settings but very much when I assign a journal article for them to read). I try to make sure they realize that the information we're learning is important outside of the classroom...which is why I want them to "get in" inside the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely agree, "application sandwich" is a fun way to look at it. I think the more students see the utility of the concept, theory or idea they are learning as applied to what they will be doing as a profession the more engaged they become. Tom "inspired" me to try something new and I think the students saw the value of the exercise. I have a power point slide program to illustrate what they were doing if I can figure out how to upload it.

    ReplyDelete