Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Growing the Growth Mindset

As I finished reading "Small Teaching" by James Lang, I found that one of the most powerful practices that he writes about is differentiating between effort and ability. This is also discussed as a growth mindset in "Making It Stick" by Peter Brown et. al..

This resonates with me because as an instructor I believe in positive reinforcement, but hadn't explicitly distinguished between whether a student was "gifted" or whether a desired result was achieved through effort. When we grade students, we are giving an absolute measure of performance, rather than a relative measure. For example, when two students get an "A" in a class, it doesn't account for the pathway to achieve that result. For one student, "Acing" the class may be a no-brainer, while for another it is through sheer determination, perseverance, and discipline; yet both achieve the same result. As instructors, we can offer encouragement as a motivator, but can we indicate this in transcripts?

As my daughter has been growing up I have noted that many praise her for her beauty, but I have been careful to avoid this. Instead, I have noted her sense of humor (she has a great one, very dry), and the wisdom she applies to many situations (she is already wiser than I am). After reading "Small Teaching" I have a better appreciation for how this applies in the classroom as well: by praising ability it can foster confidence and complacency, but by praising effort it can foster confidence, determination, and discipline. What is your perspective?

Brown, P.C, Roediger III, H.L, and McDaniel, M.A. (2014) Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning. Belknap Press, 336pp.

Lang, J.M. (2016) Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons from the Science of Learning. Jossey-Bass, 259pp.

3 comments:

  1. That's a great point! I find this is a real issue at the end of the semester, when students start contacting me because they are unhappy with their grade. I have to choose my words carefully...because it's easy to say "You got a B, so you are a "B" student"...when what I'm trying to say is more that "You earned a B in the course, but that doesn't mean you aren't an "A" student"...I probably need to figure out a way to tell students that I appreciate the effort during the semester as well! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, you touch on two things, the Growth Mindset and Grit. Grit is kind of a new concept. The book, Grit: The power of passion and perseverance by Angela Duckworth came out in May 2016.

    Duckworth says, “One characteristic emerged as a significant predictor of success . . . grit” (TED Talk). She goes on to say, “the best idea I've heard about building grit in kids is something called ‘growth mindset.’”

    You, Lang, Brown et al., are right. We all need to put in the effort and “If at first you don't succeed, Try, try, try again (Palmer).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe, Eric,

    Thanks! I like it--grit is a great way to put it. You get knocked down, you get up. How to inspire this? There are many ways. One example I give is in job applications: you may get many "no"s but it only takes one "yes" to get a job.

    How do we assess this, and demonstrate to students that this is a desirable outcome? What are your thoughts about this?

    ReplyDelete