Thursday, March 9, 2017

Revisiting Learning Outcomes Mid-Semester

I really like transparency in the way we teach students. In particular, and this relates to Zoe's post of "Why", I like to share with my classes what motivates me to teach a course: the learning outcomes. We all have them in our syllabi, but these mostly don't get revisited with the students after the first day of class. Today I dedicated part of my HNRS 170 class to sharing the learning outcomes again with my students, then reviewing which outcome we've reinforced so far with a given class activity.

Now, from an assessment standpoint I don't yet have a metric to go by for evaluating this, but I believe it is a good practice for aligning where we are as a class in the semester with the syllabus, and giving the students a sense of progress. What is your perspective?

1 comment:

  1. When it comes down to the wire and I HAVE to have an exam, I go back to the syllabus objectives that the students have in syllabus and that we talk about about 2-5 lectures before the midterm. I write to those critical things about why we have this topic and not that one. I think the syllabus objectives and review of progress are critical to our role in getting them to integrate the whole class into their curriculum. Thanks for sharing your comment Tom.

    ReplyDelete